Dear Students, Parents/Guardians,
Hope you had a restful Columbus Day weekend! Thank you for meeting with our faculty and staff last week during Parent-Teacher Conferences to ensure that your child is met where they are, and receives the best possible education that St. Anthony’s can provide. Again, if you ever have any concerns, please bring it up to your child’s teacher first, and if something needs more attention, I am happy to join the conversation as well, to resolve any issues. We are partners in education, but you as parents are your child’s first teacher. We are here to help you in your goal to raise your children to be totally healthy in mind, body and spirit, as a Follower of Jesus.
Thank you to all our parents who helped out with our last school bake sale and to all who volunteered in the library for the Scholastic Book Fair. I am especially grateful to Pattie Padilla, Lourdes Islas, and Gricel Guzman for spearheading the effort. Our school will earn 40% of the proceeds in Scholastic Dollars. Thank you for encouraging a love of reading in your children and for visiting our book fair!
Last week was RESPECT Life Week. We prayed a decade every day at morning assembly to celebrate the month of the rosary, and to thank God for the gifts He gives us.
Mrs. Grey, Principal
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2018 – 2019
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog for the most current information.)
- Oct 7 – Mandatory bake sale for grade 1 and 6, then 10/28 for grades 2 and 5, 11/4 for grades 3 and 4
- Oct 8 –COLUMBUS DAY: NO SCHOOL OR DAYCARE for STUDENTS ONLY, OR Workshop for TEACHERS, Professional Development Days for Teachers (NO SCHOOL on 11/26, 2/15, 4/12, mark your calendars!)
- Oct 10 – School Assembly: Grades K-3, from 8:30-9:30 and Grades 4-8, from 10:30-11:30am in the Hall
- Oct 12 –Library Bookmark Contest Entries Due
- Oct 15 – 8th grade visits Mary Star of the Sea High School from 8am-1pm
- Oct 19 – King Tut (6th and 7th grade Field trip)
- Oct 20 – 8th Grade Goodwill Drive Fundraiser (9am-2pm) (drop off items earlier or at garage that day to Mr. Pablo Flores)
- Oct 22 – Bishop Montgomery HS visits 8th graders at 1:30pm
- Oct 23 – Kinder Fundraiser at Aloha Pizza and Social at 6pm
- Oct 23 – Joseph and St. John Bosco to visit 8th graders at 2pm
- Oct 23-31 – Red Ribbon Week!
- Oct 24 – High School Night at St. Lawrence Martyr: (Mary Star, BMHS, Notre Dame Academy, St. Joseph, St. John Bosco, Loyola, Marymount)
- Oct 25 – 1st and 4th Grade Field trip to Getting to Know the Sound of Music, High School Night at St. Catherine Laboure
- Oct 27 – First Holy Communion Parent Formation Meeting/Retreat in the Hall, 9:15 – 11:00
- Oct 28 – Sal’s Installation at 5:30pm Sunday Mass, reception to follow
- Oct 31– Halloween celebration, Students may dress in appropriate costume – Noon Dismissal on Wednesday after Trunk or Treat
- Nov 1 – Thursday Mass School Celebration of All Saints Day (Students and Faculty dress and process in as Saints) Holy Day of Obligation
- Nov 2 – FALL PICTURE MAKEUP DAY: wear your FORMAL MASS UNIFORMS and don’t forget your vests, white shirts, and ties!
- Nov 4 – First All School Monthly Sunday Mass at 11am (students wearing their formal Mass Uniform and check in with a staff member at the choir receive a free dress pass!)
- Nov 7 – Christian Service 4 Life High Field Trip to USC
- Nov 8 – 7th and 8th grade Peace Poster Contest entries due in office
- Nov 9 – Junior High College Fair in the Hall at 9am After Mass (classes and parents invited to visit the university project displays)
- Nov 26 – Professional Development Days for Teachers (NO SCHOOL on 10/26, 2/15, 4/12, mark your calendars!)
If you know any wonderful families who would thrive at our school, please send them to the office to fill out an application! You can qualify to get some great referral incentives if they list you on their application. You can earn up to $150 in Scrip from the stores of your choice, including Vicki Marsha Uniform, or get $150 towards re-registration fees for each family you recommend, who remains in good standing. We work very hard to have a wonderful school and feel like parents are our greatest advocates and cheerleaders, so why not earn incentives for all the word-of-mouth promoting you do for our school?
8TH GRADE FUNDRAISERS
Please support our 8th graders in their fundraisers, including the GOODWILL DRIVE on 10/20. Thanks to all who participated in our community restaurant nights at BLAZE PIZZA on 10/8. Hope to see you at EL POLLO INKA on 10/15, and ONO’s HAWAIIAN BBQ on 11/2. Please save your receipts and mention SAP when you support those nights!
ON-CAMPUS TUTORING STARTING 10/11
We are beginning to partner with Mr. Kramer from Serra High School, who will provide his students to help tutor our students starting 10/11 on campus from 3:15-4:30. Teachers who refer students for tutoring will get first priority.
RALPHS/FOOD 4 LESS YEAR ROUND FUNDRAISER
Thank you to all the families who support our school when you shop at Ralph’s Food 4 Less! 9 households shopped at Ralphs and earned us $38.74 in donations over the last 3 months. 15 households shopped at Food 4 Less and earned us $145.50! Please encourage more families to do the same. Thanks!
If you or your company offers matching funds for our school, please consider signing up our school up to receive these donations. Every little bit helps! We are so grateful for the donors and sponsors of our school who enrich our children’s lives daily.
St. Anthony – Pray for us