Dear SAP School Families,
It was great seeing all of you at Back to School Night! I hope you had a chance to learn the policies, procedures, and grading scales set forth by your child’s teacher. The slide show from our meeting in the Hall is posted online at our school website, in case you wanted to revisit what was discussed. Thanks to all who visited Coastal Coffees and Vicki Marsha Uniform that day. Our Flash Sale School Fundraiser Sale for Limited Edition Schoolwide Learning Expectations (SLE/FAST) uniform sweatshirts ends on 9/12! You can buy Vicki Marsha Scrip in the office and also attend a Scrip 101 class on 9/25 with Leah Nakayama for more info on how to fundraise this way. On 9/17, we will complete our first STAR testing window. Thanks for helping us monitor your child’s progress. You will receive your child’s first progress report and STAR testing results at Parent Teacher Conferences in October!
This coming Friday, 9/13, we invite all our grandparents to attend Mass with our students. We keep all our loving grandparents in our prayers and thank God for the gifts they are to us. Sept 15 is the first mandatory bake sale for grades Kinder and 7th grade. Moving forward, our Room Parents will be in charge of class bake sales. If you can’t make your assigned date, you can send a family member in your place, reschedule within 2 weeks of your date, or you will be fined $50 for non-participation, per our tuition contract.
Now is the wonderful time that students and teachers begin to set in to the normalcy of the academic schedule. Expectations for students go up as the initial excitement of starting a new year starts to taper off. We have noticed an increase as a whole on students arriving on time to class, but we still ask for your partnership in making sure students arrive in time for prayer assembly, (and on Mass days) so teachers and students can start their day on the right note. Again – we have a strict policy on this matter: 3 tardies will equal “Tardy Time” served on Wednesday detention days after school.
Catechetical Sunday is coming up next weekend on 9/15. Our faculty will be present on 9/15 for our first 11am Family Mass. We hope to see you and your families there to see our teachers receive a special blessing as catechists in our community! For students who attend in formal Mass uniform, they will receive a free dress pass.
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2019 – 2020
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog for the most current information.)
● Sept 9 – Enrollment Management Team Meeting with Erick Rubalcava at 6:30pm in the Faculty Room
● Sept 9 – Room Parent meeting with Lorena Lakey (PLC lead) in Rm 16 at 7:15pm
● Sept 9 – Penance Service in church for grades 3-5 at 8:45am, grades 6-8 at 10:30 am
● Sept 11 – 9/11 Remembrance, All-School Assembly at 9:15 am with Sr. Lisa Valentini: Missionary Childhood Association
● Sept 11 – First of 3 Trojan Drawings for Fall Chocolate Fundraiser
● Sept 13 – Grandparents’ Day Mass
● Sept 5-Oct 5– Fall Fundraiser: World’s Finest Chocolates
● Sept 15 – Catechetical Sunday, all families welcome! 11am Family Mass, K and 7th grade Combo First Mandatory Bake Sale ($50 non-participation fee)
● Sept 19 – FALL School Picture Day! ☺ (Wear your Formal Mass Uniforms)
● Sept 21 – 8th Gr Fundraiser Gardena Cleanup service project, all families welcome to help, register online! (Julia Arteaga is the lead)
● Sept 23 – All Candy fundraiser money due to qualify for incentives
● Oct 7-11 – Scholastic Book Fair and Parent Conference Week (Noon Dismissal every day)
● Oct 25 –NO SCHOOL OR DAYCARE for STUDENTS, OR Workshop for TEACHERS, Professional Development Days for Teachers (3/2 is the next one, mark your calendars!)
● Oct 31 – Halloween Dress Up Parade and Trunk or Treat, NOON Dismissal, 8th grade Nacho sale after school (no Mass for upper grades today)
● Nov 1 – All Saints’ Day Dress Up, Procession at School Mass
● Nov 7 – School parent retreat 6:30-8 with Msgr. Sal (optional) parent service hours granted for attendance
● Nov 8 – BLUE MASS Msgr. Sal will bless badges of Police Officers and Firefighters (all first responders welcome)
As I mentioned at Back to School Night – I am extremely confident and proud of our team of educators, as well as our family-oriented community. I feel truly blessed to have my own children attending St. Anthony’s and to be a part of such a long tradition of excellence.
We as a staff have are conducting ongoing major safety drills including (Fire, Earthquake, Intruder/Lockdown, Blackout). Please note that in the case of a mass emergency (such as an earthquake) it is best NOT to come immediately to the school, as we will have a controlled, prepared environment for our students. There will be a parent “pick-up” location off of 161st Street and students will be admitted to parents directly at the gate to ensure we maintain proper count of our students. In an emergency, this process could take a while. We ask for your patience and trust in advance. Do sign up on the Remind App today.
REMIND APP SIGN UP
If you haven’t already done so, please sign up on the REMIND app so we can reach you in emergencies. A link was sent out via email. The St. Anthony of Padua School Account on remind.com is a way to communicate in case of emergencies. Here is the link to join the school: The code is @sap911. Here is the direct link: https://www.remind.com/join/sap911
HANDBOOK/PARENT STUDENT PLEDGE
Parents, please read the latest Parent Student Handbook online at our website to be up to date on our policies. Some rules and procedures have slightly changed, so please pay special attention to those changes. All students and parents are also asked to sign the Parent Student Pledge annually.
GARDENA COMMUNITY CLEAN UP DAY 9/21
Please join us for a school community service project: GARDENA BEAUTIFUL DAY is on Saturday, 9/21 from 8am-12 noon. Please visit our website for more information. Julia Arteaga is our lead. Volunteering for this event will also help our 8th grade class earn tickets to go to Disneyland in June 2020! Thanks in advance for your support!
St. Anthony – Pray for us