Dear SAP School Families,
I hope this email finds you and your family safe and healthy during the summer break.
Earlier today, at noon PST, Governor Newsom released additional state mandates for public and private schools in CA. In case you haven’t yet seen it, here is the link: https://abc7.com/6320416/
The mandate says: “Schools may open if they are in a county that has been off the County Monitoring List for 14 days and follow strict health and safety requirements, including masks, symptoms checks, and switching back to distance learning when required.”
Currently, our county, Los Angeles County, is on the monitoring list.
DCS is looking at the Governor’s statements and they are gathering more information and getting more clarity about the ADLA schools’ next steps. I will give a community update as soon as I am able.
As a parent of five children ranging from ages 4-15, and an educator, I deeply recognize the sacramental nature of our profession in Catholic schools. Education remotely is not a substitute for live in-person learning, especially in terms of emotional and spiritual growth. I am seeking additional guidance from the Archdiocese about these changes and what they mean for St. Anthony of Padua School moving forward.
Based on my initial understanding of the Governor’s statement, it appears we may have to go to distance learning as we start the school year in the fall. However, my hope is that if we are able to get off the monitor list by our first day of school on August 19, we can SAFELY reopen and provide for families who want to have in-person instruction. If this is done, we must follow all the guidelines and safety protocol as outlined in the document below.
In the meantime, our school continues to plan for all eventualities: in person, hybrid, and remote, (which we successfully planned for last trimester, with little time to plan. This time, we will be even more prepared should we have to switch to distance learning again), so that we can continue our mission in the best and safest way possible. We will continue to communicate as we know more as we move forward in community.
Here’s the published plan –
Please know that as principal, I would never want to make a decision that puts our communities at risk. Given the situation, we must act responsibility and with wisdom. If things change in the next few weeks, there is a chance we will be able to be back on campus sooner rather than later. I am hopeful of this.
Distance learning should be seen as temporary, and in-person learning is just on the horizon. The faculty, staff, and I have been collaborating for the past several months and we have all been planning for all scenarios. Our school is primed and ready to face each reality and able to pivot our approach when able.
If we are able to reopen in the fall, we are poised to do so safely. Our school has made many PPE purchases from face masks, face shields, personal barriers, disinfectants, sanitizing materials, portable hand-washing stations, hand sanitizing stations, etc. We are ready to pivot at a moment’s notice and do a hybrid of both.
If you have any questions, please email me directly at email@example.com. Do note however, that today marks the first day of my summer vacation I will return to the office on August 3 with the rest of the teachers. Our first day of school is scheduled to be on August 19. Any updates can be seen on the school website on the homepage under News and Events at www.stanthonygardena.org.
As we continue to navigate through rough waters, we ask for the the Lord’s Divine assistance, and the guidance of our Blessed Mother.