Dear Students, Parents/Guardians,
Today is our Hair Donation Drive. All donations will be sent to Children with Hair Loss. Students are able to wear “pink” today in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
We are also in the midst of RESPECT LIFE MONTH. Student Government officers have some fun events planned for this special month. They will be gathering donations of baby items on 10/22 for Respect Life Month.
National Red Ribbon Week is from 10/23-10/31, and we encourage all our students to say “No” to anything that is not healthy for them. On Wed, 10/27, students can wear “red” for Red Ribbon Week.
Pacific Toxicology will be on campus today, 10/18 and next week 10/25, for the weekly on campus COVID-testing. Please sign up for testing online each Thursday, using the link sent to you, and type in 1890 for our school code. The technician will be on campus every Monday from 7:30-8:30am for COVID-testing when school is in session. This is optional, but we ask that those students and staff who are unvaccinated get tested more often, at least once or twice a week. You must sign up every Thursday, in advance. Pacific Toxicology testing is for students and staff or parent volunteers who work on campus. If we don’t get 40 people to sign up by Thursday of each week, this on campus service will be canceled. You can still get free testing at the local YMCA in Gardena or Torrance or you can visit your medical provider.
Our WASC/WCEA Accreditation Visit will take place this week Tuesday-Thursday from October 19-21, 2021! Our team of 4 members (administrators and teachers from other Catholic schools, led by Chairperson Anthony Yniguez) will be on campus from 7:30am-4pm over the next 3 days. Please welcome them. Thank you to all the parents who confirmed to be a part of our Parent Panel to be interviewed by our team members in the Hall tomorrow, 10/19 from 2:15-2:55pm. Please note that this Wednesday, 10/20, Bishop Trudeau is scheduled to celebrate Mass with our school while our team is here. All families are invited to attend the Mass. We will be rescheduling the Futboleros show from 10/20 to another date in November when things settle down.
There is also a wonderful incentive for you to refer NEW families to our school. If you love St. Anthony’s and want your friends to know about our school, we offer a $150 referral incentive per new family (not per student) that is accepted and remains in good standing for their whole first year. We can credit that to your tuition/fundraising account or give it to you in the form of Scrip: $75 at Christmas, and $75 at the end of the school year in June. You must request this incentive if you have referred families who bring added value to our school –– it is not automatic. Thank you for help in growing our school to attract the best families around. We truly are the BEST Catholic School in the South Bay, because of all of you and your children!
Thanks to all our volunteers who signed up for Yard Duty, Traffic Duty/Safety, and After School Care. If interested, please contact me and earn service hours for your time. Thank you to Claudia Guzman, Priscilla Ortiz, and the Interior Maintenance PLC for cleaning our school to prepare it for this week.
Congratulations to our junior high students on a job well done. Our College Fair last week was a success! Special thanks to our Junior High English Teacher, Mrs. Dyogi. I am so proud of our middle school students for their hard work.
Mrs. Grey, Principal
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2020-2021
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog, along with our SAP School app for the most current information.)
- October 18: Hair Donation Drive (due today for collection)
- October 19-21: WASC/WCEA visit ( interviews take place for students and parents in the Hall on 10/19 after lunch and before carline dismissal)
- October 20: Bishop Trudeau celebrates All School Mass in church (visit pending, possible Jury Duty), WASC Visiting Team attends Mass
- October 22: Student Government Fundraiser: Pay $1 to wear a Dodger shirt and blue jeans
- Saturday, October 23: Mandatory First Holy Communion Retreat led by Ms. Gomez (2nd graders) in the Hall
- Friday, October 29: Halloween Celebration – Noon Dismissal, Halloween activities and Trunk or Treat (students and parent volunteers only), Daycare till 3pm
- Monday, November 1: All Saints’ Day: (all school saint dress up, K-8 process into church at 8am Mass)
- Tuesday, November 2: All Souls’ Day
- Wednesday, November 3: Jr. High Christian Service for Life Field trip
- Friday, November 5: Blue Mass (for first responders), Continental Breakfast hosted by 8th grade and Student Government for special guests in Hall
- Saturday, November 6: Healing of the Family Tree Workshop in Church 10:30-4:30pm (SAVE THE DATE and register early!) Earn 2 service hours for attendance
- November 9: Virtus Certificate Training in English at SAP in Hall 7-9pm, Call Religious Ed to register: 310-323-0860 M/W/Th/Fr 2-5pm
- November 9: Virtus Certificate Training in Spanish at SAP in Old Church 7-9pm, Call Religious Ed to register: 310-323-0860 M/W/Th/Fr 2-5pm
- November 11-12: VETERANS’ DAY HOLIDAY observed, NO SCHOOL
- November 12: 1st Trimester ends
- Friday, November 19:First Trimester Awards Ceremony
- November 23: All School Mass/Student Teacher Volleyball Game/Parish Thanksgiving Drive in the Hall
- November 24-26: Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 13: All School Advent Penance Service
- December 15: School Christmas Show in the Church and Cash Opportunity Drawing (Winners Announced)
- December 16: Noon Dismissal, last day of school before Christmas break, Staff Luncheon at 12:30
SCHOOL DONATIONS AND SERVICE HOURS
For families looking to pay off their service hour commitment, our school gives the option to buy Scrip/gift cards and donate them to the school. We buy a lot of materials and supplies from Home Depot for Beautification of our school, and Office Depot for much needed supplies, so if you buy Scrip valued at $10/hour and donate it to the school to offset costs, we will credit your service hour account. Parents who volunteer on Saturdays (every 2-3 weeks) can earn service hours cleaning our school with the Interior Maintenance PLC. Please join the group! Please see the email blast that was sent out re: the dates when the Interior Maintenance PLC will meet. Thanks in advance! The next 2 dates are Saturday, 11/6 and 12/4 from 12:30-3:30pm at the school.
EARN ONE SERVICE HOUR FROM HOME!
Parents who review our school online on Yelp, Google, AND greatschools.org will earn up to one service hour after you send me your screenshots of all 3 sites as proof: to firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Anthony of Padua – Pray for us