Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our all-school Penance Service will be in the Church at 8:45 am on 12/7. What a beautiful way to start off our Advent Season. Parents, you are welcome to join us for the sacrament of Reconciliation. This Friday, 12/8, is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and a Holy Day of Obligation. Then, on 12/12, we will celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on a Tuesday School Mass.
The Folklorico Dance Group, under the direction of Rosie Estrada, has been performing at holiday parades, and this past Saturday, they competed in the Palos Verdes Christmas parade. Incredibly, they won First Place in the Dance category! I got to see them perform with my family, and it was a huge accomplishment. What a source of pride they are for our school. I congratulate the dancers, parents, and teachers on this amazing win!
On another note, we would like to inform you of a wonderful opportunity available to any school parents hoping to enroll their younger children in our Kindergarten next year. As current school families of the SAP community, you and your child are able to apply using the Early Admissions Process. This allows ONLY current families of St. Anthony’s School and St. Anthony’s Day Nursery, to apply earlier than the general public (who can begin applying on March 1, 2017), and receive an admissions decision before outside applicants have even begun the process. Don’t delay–the submission deadline for early applications is Friday, December 15, and testing begins the week of January 8-12, 2018. If you don’t meet the deadlines, you will be wait listed. All other general applicants must wait until March 1 to be considered. Only those accepted will be able to attend the Kindergarten Registration Night on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 6:30 in the Hall. Turn in your paperwork and $50 application fee early to avoid disappointment. If accepted, you will secure your child’s seat in the 2018-2019 Kindergarten class by the end of February 2018!
Mrs. Grey, Principal
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2017 – 2018
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog for the most current information.)
- Nov 14-Dec 14 – Hawaiian Raffle Fundraiser! Winner announced at Christmas Program 12/14 ($1 Donation per ticket)
- Dec 3 – First Sunday of Advent
- Dec 7 – School Penance Service after 8am Mass (8:45 am) for grades 3-8 (bring a book)
- Dec 7 and 8 – Kinder Ornament Sale at 3pm near brown benches
- Dec 7 – Kinder and 4th grade Las Posadas
- Dec 8 – Holy Day of Obligation, School Mass for the feast of the Immaculate Conception, 6th grade Nov/Dec birthdays on benches
- Dec 8 – Hawaiian Raffle Money Due to Mr. Aguilar ($200 Due to office. Absolute last day to purchase additional tickets is 12/14 at noon)
- Dec 10 – Mandatory Bake Sale for 8th grade (last bake sale of the year, call Pattie Padilla to sign up to make up hours)
- Dec 12 – Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast Day: Tuesday School Mass, no Mass on Friday that week
- Dec 13 – Christmas Sweater Day
- Dec 14 – Christmas Program in the Church at 6pm, Hawaiian Raffle winner announced (last day to purchase tickets by today at noon), High Instrumental Music Bake Sale and Mini Holiday Craft Fair to follow in Hall, gates close at 8:30pm Sharp for school next day
- Dec 15– Due date for Kinder Early Admissions Packet and supporting documents, TTS Signed Forms Due
- Dec 15 – Noon Dismissal and beginning of Christmas Vacation NO DAYCARE OFFERED TODAY, PICK UP ALL CHILDREN AT NOON (staff Christmas party off campus)
- Dec 16-24 – Simbang Gabi at 4:30 am, Las Posadas in the evenings
- Dec 18 – Jan 2 –Christmas Break
- Dec 24 – School Family Mass at 5:30pm Happy Birthday, Jesus!
- Jan 3, 2018 – Classes resume, Happy New Year!
- Jan 23– Kindergarten Early Registration for Preschool Students and Current SAP Families ONLY, Open Enrollment is March 1, 2017
- Jan 28 – Open House from 12 – 2 after 11:00 School Mass, Vicki Marsha Road Show in Rm 6, Catholic Schools’ Week Begins!
- NO SCHOOL OR DAYCARE for STUDENTS for Professional Development Days for Teachers (1/22, 3/23, and 4/20 mark your calendars!)
Just a reminder that the last day to purchase Scrip from Mr. Aguilar is Friday, 12/8, if you want to receive it before the Christmas break.
FOLKLORICO UPCOMING PERFORMANCES 12/10 and 1/13
Our school Folklorico group performed in the PV Christmas parade this past Saturday and took home the first place trophy! We thank them for always representing our school so beautifully. Support them at the Southgate Christmas Parade on 12/10 and at the MLK Parade on 1/13!
SCHOOL UNIFORM REMINDERS
Please remember that ONLY uniform sweaters and jackets are allowed at school. Colors/prints that detract from our private school uniform look are not allowed. Teachers may send home uniform infractions for your child if there is a violation. 3 infractions will equal a detention. Please see the section on uniforms in the Parent/Student Handbook found online to get reacquainted with the school policy. As a reminder, all boys must have clean haircuts and girls may only wear school accessories and stud earrings. Random checks schoolwide will begin this trimester.
TEACHING TOUCHING SAFETY (TTS FORMS DUE BY 12/15)
We are very happy each year to conduct the “Teaching Touching Safety” Classes to our students. This is a course that covers an age-appropriate curriculum to bring awareness to students regarding issues of sexual abuse and dangers. It teaches them the lines of “appropriateness” within particular contexts and how to avoid and respond to possible situations that could endanger them. *PERMISSIONS SLIPS WILL BE SENT HOME SOON AND MUST BE RETURNED TO YOUR CHILD’S TEACHER BY FRIDAY, December 15.
OPEN HOUSE 1/28/18
Our annual Open House will be held on January 28, 2018. Please save the date and plan on joining us for a fun day! The Poor Clare Sisters will help us with face painting, there’s a Vicki Marsha uniform sale, and special performances by Folklorico and Arts Alive groups!
St. Anthony – Pray for us