Dear Parents and Guardians,
I’d like to thank our Interior Maintenance PLC and all the volunteers who helped clean our school this weekend! It was also wonderful seeing our preschool families and current families with siblings at St. Anthony’s preschool for Kinder Roundup Testing. Testing continues after school for families unable to attend the round up on January 13-14. Only those accepted by 1/15/20 will be able to attend the Early Bird Kindergarten Registration on January 21 at 6:30pm in the Hall. For families who know a child that would love to attend our Kindergarten next year, please refer them to our school for an incentive. General applicants for the 2020-2021 School Year must wait until March to be considered.
Please mark your calendars for Open House on Sunday, 1/26. Mass is at 11am and Open House is from 12-2pm. Thank you to our PLC Chair, Mr. Tini Grey, our Room Parents and all the volunteers who are coordinating these events! Students who come to Mass in their formal attire, and all student performers and choir members will receive a free dress pass. The 8th graders will have a bake sale and our Folklorico dance group will perform outside at 12:30pm. Please come and support! All current families who bring in a prospective family and have them fill out an inquiry card at our Open House school tent and take the student-led tour, will get a raffle ticket to qualify for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card!
We are excited to have Special Person’s Day on Friday, 1/31, the last day of Catholic Schools’ Week! We will have Mass at 10am that Friday and ALL students can invite somebody they consider “special” to them, an adult 18 or older. We will celebrate Mass together honoring that Special Person (it’s optional to sit together with your child and their class), and then you may have lunch with your child from 11 am-12 noon on our school grounds in designated areas. Dismissal is at 12 NOON ON 1/31, and daycare is provided till 6pm. The “Special Person” will bring lunch for the student and they will have the chance to eat together, beginning after Mass (the protocol to sign out students in the office and with teachers is similar to that of “Trunk or Treat” during Halloween). The 8th grade class is planning to do a fundraiser to pre-sell meals for this event. Please stay tuned for more info and thank you for supporting our 8th graders! This will be a beautiful celebration and everyone is strongly encouraged to attend. Please let your teachers know in advance who your child’s special person will be.
Also – a reminder that there is NO SCHOOL or Daycare next Monday, January 20, due to the MLK, Jr. Holiday. Our 2nd STAR testing window will continue through 1/26. We will have one more at the end of the year to measure student progress. The 2nd trimester ends on 3/6, and Progress reports go home on 1/21 in your parent envelopes, if not earlier. Please sign and return these reports to school, and continue to keep close communication with your child’s teacher. Also, stay informed by checking Gradelink often, and sign up for notifications on your phone, if you want to get the latest with your child’s academic progress.
Mrs. Grey, Principal
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2019 – 2020
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog for the most current information.)
- Jan 6-26 – STAR Window 2
- Jan 14 – EMT/Open House/Interior Maintenance PLC meeting at 6:30pm in Rm 16
- Jan 15 – Family Social PLC Meeting in Faculty Rm at 6:00 pm
- Jan 18 – 2nd grade Parent Formation Retreat in Hall with Ms. Gomez 9:15-11am, Folklorico Group performs at Gardena MLK Day parade
- Jan 20 – No School, MLK Holiday!
- Jan 21 – Early Kinder Registration for accepted students at 6:30 pm in the Hall for Preschool Students and Current SAP Families ONLY, Open Enrollment is March 1, 2020, childcare provided – Progress Reports go home, Money Due for 2/8 Stateline Turnaround Trip
- Jan 22 – Preorders for Jamba Juice or Krispy Kreme “BOGO” cards (8th Grade Fundraiser) due. Cards delivered 1/31/20, Meet the Masters Tutoring Session #2
- Jan 23 – Kindergarten Parent Meeting 6:00pm
- Jan 26– Open House from 12-2pm after 11:00 School Mass, Vicki Marsha Road Show in Rm 5, All school families will attend the 11am Mass together and then we will host our annual Open House from 12pm-2pm, 8th Grade Bake Sale, Catholic Schools’ Week begins!
- Jan27- Student Appreciation Day, School Choir performs at Pius Matthias Academy in Downey,
- Jan 28- Teacher Appreciation Day, Deadline for Special Person’s Day Lunch Preorders (8th grade fundraiser)
- Jan 29 – Administration Appreciation Day, Student Teacher Volleyball Game
- Jan 30– Parent Appreciation Day
- Jan 31– Special Person’s Day Mass at 10 am (adults 18 and over please), 8th grade lunch fundraiser, Noon Dismissal, Daycare Provided
- Feb 5– 3rd Gr. Ocean Institute Field Trip
- Feb 6 – 100th day of School and General Parent Meeting #2, ($50 fee for non-attendance)
- Feb 7 – School Mass with Bishop Trudeau
- Feb 8 – Stateline turnaround fundraiser trip hosted by 8th grade class (6:45am-10:30pm) $40 person/$60 per couple
- Feb 17 – Presidents Day, No School
- Feb 18-19– Re-registration in the Hall 6-8pm
- Feb 21 – Junior High CA Science Center Field Trip
- Feb 26- Ash Wednesday, Lent Begins
- March 2 – NO SCHOOL OR DAYCARE for STUDENTS for Professional Development Days for Teachers (mark your calendars!)
- March 5 – Talent Show
- March 6 – Pre-visit by WASC/WCEA Accreditation Team from 9am-12 noon (Official Visit is 3/24-3/26), End of 2nd Trimester
- March 30 – Faculty Retreat- Student Free Day NO SCHOOL, NO DAYCARE
IMPORTANT EARLY KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION!
If you have a child that will be entering Kindergarten next year and is NOT at St. Anthony’s Day Nursery – please contact me right away to let me know so I can include him/her on the early registration list. If your child is already at the Nursery School, you have already received info and should have turned in all applications by now.
St. Anthony – Pray for us