Dear Students, Parents/Guardians,
I hope you had a restful holiday weekend with your families. Thank you for a successful Parent Conference week! We appreciate you making the time to meet with our faculty and staff last week to ensure that your child is met where they are, and receives the best possible education that St. Anthony’s can offer. If you ever have any concerns, please bring it up to your child’s teacher first, and if something needs more attention, I am happy to join the conversation as well, to resolve any issues. We are partners in education, but you as parents are your child’s first teacher. We are here to help you in your goal to raise your children to be totally healthy in mind, body and spirit, as a Follower of Jesus.
We are in the midst of RESPECT LIFE MONTH. We prayed a rosary together as a school last week to celebrate the Feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary, and to thank God for the miracles he bestows upon us each day, through the intercession of His Blessed Mother. We continue to pray for all families struggling with health issues, and those who have lost loved ones. October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. We will have a Hair Donation Drive on 10/18. Please check your email for more specific details re: donations benefiting Children with Hair Loss.
Our long-awaited WASC/WCEA Accreditation Visit that was initially scheduled for March 2020 will take place next week Tuesday-Thursday from October 19-21, 2021! Our team of 4 members (administrators and teachers from other Catholic schools) will be on campus starting next week from 7:30am-4pm. Thank you to all the parents who confirmed to be a part of our Parent Panel to be interviewed by our team members in the Hall on Tuesday, 10/19 from 2:15-2:55pm. Please note that on 10/20, Bishop Trudeau will be celebrating Mass with our school while our team is here. All families are invited to attend the Mass. We will be rescheduling the Futboleros show from 10/20 to another date in November when things settle down.
Pacific Toxicology will be on campus next Monday, 10/18, for the weekly COVID-testing. Please sign up for testing online each Thursday (this week it’s by 10/14) using the link sent to you and type in 1890 for our school code. The technician will be on campus every Monday from 7:30-8:30am for COVID-testing when school is in session. This is optional, but we ask that those students and staff who are unvaccinated get tested more often, at least once or twice a week. You must sign up every Thursday, in advance. This is for students and staff or parent volunteers who work on campus. If we don’t get 40 people to sign up by Thursday, this service will be canceled. You can still get free testing at the local YMCA in Gardena or Torrance.
We are still in need of volunteers for Yard Duty, Traffic Duty/Safety, and After School Care. If interested, please contact me and thank you for helping to keep our kids safe.
Our Fall Fundraiser is over, and now we look to our next Winter fundraiser: our Hawaiian Raffle! Stay tuned for more information.
This Wednesday is our College Fair, led by our Junior High English Teacher, Mrs. Dyogi. Our 6-8th grade students have been working hard on their research papers since school began, and are excited to present their projects to all our K-8 students. Congratulations to our SAP students, who are truly college-bound!
Mrs. Grey, Principal
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2020-2021
(Be sure to always check www.stanthonygardena.org and your child’s teacher’s blog, along with our SAP School app for the most current information.)
- OCTOBER: Month of the Rosary
- Monday, October 12 : NO SCHOOL – (Columbus Day)
- Wednesday, October 13: College Fair (Junior High)
- October 16: ICF Fundraising Dinner at 6:30pm in the Hall (volunteers needed), Interior Maintenance PLC meets 12:30-3:30
- October 18: Hair Donation Drive (due today for collection)
- October 19-21: WASC/WCEA visit ( interviews take place for students and parents in the Hall on 10/19 after lunch and before dismissal)
- October 20: Bishop Trudeau celebrates all School Mass in church, WASC Visiting Team attends Mass
- Futboleros Soccer Show: (November date TBD, rescheduled from 10/20)
- Saturday, October 23: Mandatory First Holy Communion Retreat led by Ms. Gomez (2nd graders)
- Friday, October 29: Halloween – Noon Dismissal, Halloween activities and Trunk or Treat (students and parent volunteers only)
- Monday, November 1: All Saints’ Day: (all school saint dress up, K-8 process into church at 8am Mass)
- Tuesday, November 2: All Souls’ Day
- November 3: Jr. High Christian Service for Life
- Friday, November 5: Blue Mass (for first responders), Continental Breakfast hosted by 8th grade and Student Government for special guests
- Saturday, November 6: Healing of the Family Tree Workshop in Church 10:30-4:30pm (SAVE THE DATE and register early!)
- November 11-12: VETERANS’ DAY HOLIDAY observed, NO SCHOOL
- November 12: 1st Trimester ends
- Friday, November 19:First Trimester Awards Ceremony
- November 23: All School Mass/Student Teacher Volleyball Game/Parish Thanksgiving Drive in the Hall
- November 24-26: Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 13: All School Advent Penance Service
- December 15: School Christmas Show in the Church and Hawaiian Raffle Drawing
- December 16: Noon Dismissal, last day of school before Christmas break, Staff Luncheon at 12:30
The Catholic Education Foundation (CEF) was recently given a $5 million dollar grant from an anonymous donor. It is to help boost enrollment in Catholic Schools. We need everyone’s help in Marketing this to our parish families. If anyone is in the Publicity and Marketing PLC, we would love to have you help us promote this by speaking after weekend Masses or talking to Religious Education Families in English or Spanish to promote our school and this wonderful opportunity.
FAMILY INCOME SURVEY
Parents, please do the LAUSD Family Income Survey Form online ASAP. All families are asked to complete this annually. Thank you for returning the hard copy to the school for our annual reports. The online survey below is due no later than Monday, 10/18 to LAUSD to help us qualify for Title Services through LAUSD. It’s the same form you already filled out for us. These numbers are important for us to be able to see our eligibility to receive federal and state programs and funds and grants from donors. Thank you in advance for your help! Here is the link:
Parents who volunteer on Saturdays (every 2-3 weeks) can earn service hours cleaning our school with the Interior Maintenance PLC. Please join the group! Please see the email blast that was sent out re: the dates when the Interior Maintenance PLC will meet. Thanks in advance! The next one is this Saturday, 10/16 from 12:30-3:30pm at the school.
St. Anthony of Padua – Pray for us